Dalek birthday cake made for a Doctor Who fan friend for a suprise.
I hate fondant (otherwise this would have been 10x easier!) and i like cakes to taste good as well as look good.
This is chocolate cake with melted choc-chips
- the protrusions are maltesers
- the base black bit is mazipan
- the gunstalks are unfortunately not edible - being cocktail sticks with tin foil except with bassetts licorice allsorts
- licorice allsorts were also cut and used for the gridding
- the covering is chocolate flavoured butter-icing (homemade) coloured black/grey with a gold and copper edible powder brushed on when the icing was almost dry.
fortunately she loved it and i think it tasted pretty good too!